Over Jon’s shoulder, Fiona saw her sister and Richie leave the house and head down the slope toward the river. Her eyes went back to Jon’s sad face.
There was only a little bit of anger in his tone when he demanded, “I don’t understand. Why? Why do you have to go Home now?” He could see the sadness in her eyes, and was sure he could capitalize on that. “Stay with me a while,” he bent his legs, so that he could look in her cloudy eyes, “I know you want to.”
“Of course, I want to.” She hadn’t wanted to tell him that much, but she couldn’t resist the pain in his blue eyes. She wanted to wipe it all away. Consoling herself with the knowledge that he wouldn’t remember any of this, of their time together, in just a few moments, was the only way she kept herself from blurting out the truth.
That she loved him and would gladly risk being recycled, if he would just run away with her to hide, leaving his life, his career....his kids.
As Richie and Morganna joined them, Richie pointed at the end of the small dock that the sisters had chosen for their meeting place. “Hey Jon, where’s the boat?”
Jon glanced over his shoulder to the area where Richie had pointed. “What boat?”
“The little row boat that’s always tied to the end of the dock,” Richie answered.
“I don’t have a boat,” Jon argued.
Richie frowned at Jon. “It’s been there the whole two years you’ve lived here.”
“I told you,” Jon countered, “I don’t have a fucking boat.”
The sisters glanced at each other and nodded. They pulled the little bags out of their pockets and poured some of the dust into their hands. The pale pink crystals were nearly translucent, and looked innocuous enough, but the Fey knew better. They shared a sorrow-filled looked and sighed. While the men continued to argue over a non-existent boat, they blew the dust in their faces.
Jon immediately started a sneezing fit, and Richie roared in displeasure.
“What the fuck did ya do that for?” Richie growled, glaring at Morganna.
Between sneezes Jon added, “Yeah, you got some of that in my eye, Fee. Fuck. What was that?”
Ignoring them, the sisters were talking to each other.
“It didn’t work,” Morganna cried, looking at Fiona with horror in her violet eyes.
“Why didn’t it work?” Fiona demanded, stomping her foot. “It should’ve worked! I don't want to have to do that again! Did we do it right?”
“I’m sure we did it correctly,” Morganna said thoughtfully.
“What didn’t work?” Jon bellowed over the two of them.
The fey looked at the men then. Both of them wore the biggest frowns the sisters had ever seen on their faces.
Morganna began the explanation Jon was demanding with a shrug, then simply, “Memory dust.”
“Memory dust?” Richie demanded.
Fiona nodded, glancing first at Jon, then seeing his dark frown, turned back to Richie who seemed the less threatening of the two. “It was to erase your memories of the past four days.”
Jon's frown got even darker. “You were trying to make me forget you? Forget US?”
“Perhaps it doesn’t work on them,” Morganna suggested, ignoring Jon and turning back to her sister.
Fiona acted as if Jon hadn't spoken at all. “No, that’s not it. I’ve used it on them before. It was about twenty years ago, when the two of them witnessed me using my magic and demanded explanations.” She nodded as if to emphasize what she’d said. “They were sleepy afterward, but didn’t remember anything of the past several days.” She giggled softly at the memory. “They just thought they were recovering from a drinking binge, and couldn’t remember what must have been a ‘major party weekend, dude’.” She made air quotes with her fingers around the phrase the guys had used back then, even stressing the use of the word ‘dude’ making herself sound like a California surfer chick when she said it.
“That was you?!” Richie yelled, pointing at her. “We spent the better part of a month trying to remember what we’d done that weekend!”
Jon frowned darkly at Fiona. “I knew you looked familiar when I first saw you in my garden.”
Morganna raised her voice to be heard over the men. “This all still does not explain why the dust didn’t work.”
A voice from the behind them gave the answer. “I am the reason it did not work.” The words were softly spoken, but with an air of command and a certain amount of imperiousness.
“Hey look,” Richie said, elbowing Jon. “There's your boat.”
“I told you,” Jon began, “I don't have...,” his voice drifted off as he realized the sisters were staring in awe at the newcomer. Then when they both bowed their heads in respect, even dropping into almost synchronized curtsies, he added, “What the fuck?”
Standing there on the dock was a little man barely over five feet tall, with a pair of big round eyeglasses that made him resemble a big bug. His hair was sparse and gray, and he had ears big enough to make him look like he could take flight at any time. Carrying a fishing tackle box in one hand, and a fishing pole in the other, he wore a huge smile as he grinned at the fey with pride.
“Fiona, Morganna,” he addressed each of the sisters, “you have both done well. I'm very proud of you.”
Wearing identical blushes, the fey responded softly, reverently, “Thank you.”
“No, no, my lovelies,” he said softly as he sat the tackle box down on the pier. He leaned the fishing pole against it, and clasped his hands together. “I must thank you, for I, and all of humanity owe you a great debt.” He turned to address Jon and Richie. “And you two as well. You far exceeded my expectations.” He nodded to emphasize his words.
“Thank you,” Richie responded, “I think.”
“Who the fuck are you?” Jon asked.
Fiona gasped in horror at Jon’s use of profanity.
“All your questions will be answered in due time, Jon,” the wizened old man replied. Another smile split his face at Jon's impatience; these two had always been two of his favorites. “You have all done such a fine job, that I have come myself to offer a gift for all your hard work.”
Her voice full of awe, Fiona asked, “A gift?”
“Oh, sir,” Morganna breathed, “that is not necessary.”
Jon held up a hand in interruption. “Let the man speak,” he said. “Gifts aren't always necessary, but they're usually nice to get just the same.”
“Careful what you wish for, Kidd,” Richie was quick to caution.
The old man shook his head and smiled gently at the foursome. “My darlings,” he looked first at Fiona, then Morganna, “it has come to my attention that there is something the two of you wish for far more than to come Home at this time.” The women exchanged nervous glances before nodding, and he went on. “I'm here to offer you that which you wish for most, but in exchange you must make a few minor concessions.”
“Anything,” Morganna breathed.
“Careful what you promise, Sister,” Fiona cautioned.
“Your sister is right, Morganna dear,” the old man said softly. “You may not like the conditions.”
Morganna looked down at her feet as she replied, “I would promise anything to stay with Richie.” She raised her eyes just enough to meet her sister's and added, “I'm sure Fee would say the same to stay with Jon.”
“All the same,” the newcomer said, “I implore you to listen and think, before accepting. Once acceptance is given, there is no turning back.”
“No givesies-backsies on the gift huh?” Richie said, his voice laced with sarcasm and derision.
“Richie,” Morganna started, but the old man held up a hand to stop her protestations.
“It’s quite alright, my dear,” he said. Turning to address Richie, he continued. “No, there is no ‘returning’ of this gift.” Richie found he could not stay irritated in the face of this old man, and in fact, when he met the man’s gray-green eyes, he felt calmer than he had in years.
Stepping closer to the fey, the old man stretched his arms toward them, and each woman tentatively took a hand. Their nerves were immediately soothed, and their bodies relaxed as all the tension seeped into the ground. “I know that you love these mortals,” he began, keeping his voice soft and calm. “And though it was expressly forbidden to do so, more for their safety than for yours, you became personally involved with them.”
“But – ” Fiona started to speak, but the old man merely shook his head.
“You are not to be punished child, do not fret. But there are concessions you will have to make.”
“Wait, sorry, just wait one minute,” Jon interrupted. “What are you talking about? What’s the gift, and what do you mean, ‘concessions’?”
“The gift, Jon, is being able to stay here with you until you naturally expire,” the wizened man said. “They can delay their return Home until you have died.”
Jon’s and Richie’s eyes widened. “You mean,” Richie said, “that we can stay together?”
Morganna nodded. “Yes, here and in the after.” She looked at the old man. “It is a very generous gift.”
“The after?” Richie asked.
“Do you remember what Home is for us?” Morganna asked, her eyes shimmering with unshed tears of joy
“Yeah, Heaven,” he answered.
“And once you have lived out your life...” she trailed off, waiting for Richie to grasp the enormity of her statement.
Jon got it first. “Once we die, assuming we’re not total assholes, we go to Heaven and can be with you?”
“Not can be,” the old man corrected. “Will be. That is one of the concessions you all must make. This is forever.” He turned to the Fey. “Another is that you, my lovelies, must age as your partners do.”
Fiona whispered, “Age?” Her momentary horror was displaced quickly with the joy of realizing that she could be with Jon. That it would be permitted without making him give up everything.
The old man looked at Jon and Richie. “I see you are pondering ‘forever’. Let me try to make it clear for you.” He smiled then, his eyes twinkling with mirth. “What therefore I hath joined together, let no man put asunder. I take that quite seriously.”
Jon’s eyes went wide as the implication of those words hit him. “Holy –”
“Dude,” Richie said quickly, clamping his hand down on Jon’s arm.
“No pre-nup?” Jon said, half afraid to make a joke, but unable to help himself.
The Maker laughed. “No, my son. No pre-nup. This is forever. You do not want to know what will happen should you try to break the covenant.”
“But -” Jon seemed poise to argue, but Richie squeezed Jon's arm tighter.
“Let it go, man,” he said under his breath.
“It is quite alright,” the old man said indulgently. “Now,” he turned to Fiona and Morganna. “You must be prepared to age with your partners, and continue to hide your magic from the world. As for you,” he turned back to Jon and Richie, “you are no longer in need of your powers, so you will no longer have them. However, your singing and songwriting abilities are your own – they will not be affected.” He grinned. “Though perhaps the ardor of your fans will not be so great.”
Jon said nothing, but the smallest of smirks ghosted across his lips. Richie could practically hear his best friend sneering, “Yeah right.”
The old man turned from the group and walked to the dock, picking up his tackle box and rod as he went. “I will give you time to think it over,” he said. “This is a binding agreement, and not one to enter into lightly. It also must not be spoken of after this day, outside of yourselves of course.”
“What about Alec?” Jon asked.
“Ah, Longinus.” The Maker shook his head slowly. “Alas, his fate is already sealed. I would caution you not to dwell on his situation, but yes, you may speak with him about all this as well if you choose. Nobody else.”
“But Alec helped us; saved my life!” Richie argued. “Surely there’s something you can do!”
“I do not need to explain myself to you,” the old man said almost angrily. “Suffice it to say, he learned what happens if a covenant with me is broken. I trust you will not personally learn the same lesson.” He stopped and consulted the position of the sun. “Now, I have given you much to think about. I will return at mid-day, at which time you will give me your decision.” He stepped into the boat and slowly paddled away.
Richie turned to Morganna, stunned. “Was that really – I mean He said – and he meant – “ He was babbling almost incoherently in the face of what had just happened.
“Yes,” Morganna said softly, putting her hand on Richie’s arm. “It most certainly was.” She led Richie a little ways away from Jon and Fiona and lowered her voice. “And yes, he most certainly meant it. Together for all eternity, in your world and mine. It seems you have a decision to make, but both of you must come to the same decision.”
“Both of us?” Richie was still a bit stunned at the most recent set of events.
“Yes,” Morganna said. “For you must decide together whether or not to accept what is being offered. It is a gift to us, but may not be much of one to you.”
Richie frowned. “Why do we both have to decide one way or the other?” He knew Jon didn’t like being rushed – especially when there was a pretty hefty decision to be made.
“Because,” Morganna said gently, “if one of you chooses not to accept the gift, we would have to use the memory dust on the other, and that would not work – one of you having the knowledge and being required to keep it a secret.” She shook her head. “No, we would have to use it on both of you, and it would work this time.”
Richie looked up at Jon, who was deep in conversation with Fiona. “Can I try to talk him into accepting?”
Morganna was taken aback. “You would accept the offering so quickly? Without thinking it through?”
Richie shrugged. “I’ve always lived my life by leading with my heart. I’ve grown quite fond of you, and my memories, Accolon’s memories, are feeding that. I know it hasn’t been that long – not even a week – but I can feel my heart filling when I’m with you.” He took her hand. “I hesitate to call what I’m feeling love, just because it’s been such a short time, but it could be that. And if I let you go, it could be the worst decision I’ve ever made – and ask your sister, I’ve made a few doozies in my day – and I don’t want to. Let you go that is.”
“But this is forever. Do you know how long that is?”
“I don’t really have a concept of eternity, but yeah, I think I know how long that is.” He took her hands and locked eyes with her. “I want to do this. I choose to accept the gift. Now, can I convince my stubborn, mule-headed, analyze everything-to-the-nth-degree brother over there?”
Morganna wrenched her hands from Richie’s and threw her arms around him. “If anyone can, you can,” she said.
Jon didn’t even wait for the boat to be out of sight before he grabbed Fiona’s hand and tugged, pulling her several feet away from her sister and his brother. “Fee,” he said her name softly, making her look up at him.
What if’s danced in her eyes. He could see them. Her whole body almost vibrated, as if the happiness inside was unable to be contained and would burst forth from her pores at any moment.
“I don’t have to ask what your decision is,” he told her dryly.
“An’ you doona wish for the same?” she asked, a small frown crinkling her forehead, the slightest bit of Irish in her voice. She had been so happy that she hadn’t noticed Jon’s hesitation before now.
“Honestly?” he paused, taking a deep breath and slowly letting it out. “I don’t know.” As he watched the happiness slowly leak out of her eyes to be replaced by sadness, he quickly tried to explain, to placate. “Fee, baby, you know me. You claim to know me as much or better than Rich.” At her nod, he went on, “You know I don’t jump into major decisions like this. Fuck, the only impulsive big decision I can remember ever making was running off to Vegas to marry Dot, and well, “he shrugged, “look how that turned out.”
Fiona looked down at her feet, unable to meet his eyes as tears started to pool in hers. “I’m sorry,” she said slowly, carefully, working hard to keep the Irish out of her voice. “Someone shoulda bothered to ask how you felt. I love you so much, that I didn’t stop to realize that you hadn’t ever said the words to me; that you might no’ feel the same.”
Jon tilted her chin back up with his finger, keeping it there to make her have to look him in the eyes. “That’s just it, Fee. I don’t know how I feel.”
Fiona wrapped one hand around his wrist, tenderly stroking the underside of it with her thumb as she spoke. “I know that you don’t like to be pushed or rushed into anything, but believe me, this is a one time deal that expires in a very short time. The rushing part just can’t be helped, but I will no’ push you or try to convince you. This is your decision to make.”
“I don’t mind pushing him,” Richie said from behind Jon. “Sometimes, he needs a not-so-gentle shove in the right direction.” Fiona smiled, and Jon opened his mouth to say something, but Richie stopped him with his next words. “Fee, could I have a moment with my brother?”
Fiona nodded and regretfully stepped back from Jon, then moved to join her sister. Jon turned to watch her go, and Richie noticed and recognized the look on Jon’s face. “Can you watch her walk away for good?” he asked gently. Jon only frowned at the words, not answering. Richie went on, “Oh wait, you won’t even get to watch her walk away. Anna says that if one of us says no then they’ll have to use the dust on us. We won’t even remember that they were ever here.”
Jon jerked his attention away from Fiona’s sad face to turn to meet Richie’s eyes. “What?”
“You heard me.” Richie nodded to emphasize his words. “I know how you are Jon. Just once think with your heart and not your head. There’s just one question you have to answer. Are you willing to let her go?”
Jon turned back to look at Fiona as she talked softly with her sister. Quickly, the last few days replayed in his mind. She had fought beside him, protected him, and loved him with everything she had. Her loyalty was unquestionable. He knew that he did care about her even if it wasn’t love yet, it could be.
The question Richie had asked still hung in the air between them. “No,” he answered.
Jon walked across the small space with big strides. A man on a mission. When he reached Fiona, he pulled her into his arms and kissed her hard. When he finally let her up for air, he said softly, “Rich says that if one of us says no that you’ll have to use the dust on us again.” She nodded in answer. “I wouldn’t even get to watch you leave. Wouldn’t even have a memory of you to take out and cherish later.”
“‘Tis the truth,” she replied, not wanting to sugar coat it for him.
“I can’t - won’t allow that,” he told her with his usual determination back in his voice.
Fiona smiled up at him, then looked over at Richie to smile her thanks to him. The guitarist nodded to acknowledge her unspoken words. He wasn’t sure he wanted to accept her thanks. He’d pushed Jon purely for his own and his brother’s benefit. They were making the right choice here.
He just knew it.
Slowly, as time passed, one by one, first Morganna hiked up her long skirts and sat down on the side of the dock to dangle her toes in the cool water, then Fiona soon followed suit, rolling up the legs of her pants and sitting on the opposite side with her back to her sister. Richie wasn't far behind, putting one long cuff in each of his pant legs, and sitting beside Morganna to put his feet, up to mid-calf in the water as well. And Jon...
He paced the dock.
“How much longer do we have to wait?” Jon asked, checking his watch. If he was going to go through with this impulsive decision, he wanted to get on with it.
“Not long now,” Fiona answered. She hitched her chin in the direction of the river. “Look.”
Gliding slowly toward them, the rowboat captured their attention. It bumped gently against the dock and tied itself steady so the Maker could disembark. He walked down the dock toward the foursome.
"You're early," Jon exclaimed, "Thank God!"
"You're welcome, my son," the Maker answered him with a slight grin.
Jon sucked so much breath, he almost choked on it, while the other three quickly scrambled to their feet.
With the tiniest of bemused grins, the Maker pretended not to notice as the Fey and Richie quickly straightened their clothes. “You have decided,” he said.
“We have,” Fiona answered.
He turned to look at Jon. “Are you sure son? Forever is a mighty long time.”
Jon looked at Fiona, at the hope and love in her eyes, and examined his heart. Was he sure? He thought so. “Yes,” he said. “I’m sure.”
“Then it is done.” The Maker held his hands up in blessing, smiled, then disappeared.
“It’s done?” Richie said. “That’s it?”
“What else did you want?” Jon asked, throwing his arm around Fiona's shoulder and pulling her close. "A rainbow, or the river to change course, what?"
“I dunno,” Richie said, shrugging. “But, I kinda feel like there should be something else.”
Morganna hugged Richie. “We have forever for ‘something else’.”
Joyous beyond words, each couple embraced, sharing deep, steamy kisses. As each pair turned toward the house, arms around each other’s waists, Richie said, “so Anna, darlin’, we don’t have our ‘powers’, but you still do?” She nodded, smiling widely. Richie’s laughed evilly. “So does that mean you can still make your clothes disappear?”
“Fuck that, man-whore,” Jon said. “I wanna know when I’m getting my tattoo back.”

7 comments:
What a perfectly lovely ending. It was very fairytale just like the story itself. You guys did an amazing job and your creativity knows no bounds, that I can say for CERTAIN.
It was a long time coming, but endings are so very hard to do. The humor and the serious, the love and the sacrifice. All here just like in any good adventure.
Bravo Hath and T!
I agree with Tara. The perfect mix of serious, love, laughter, sacrifice. Makes the story that much more wonderful.
Loved it girls. Great job.
Bravo, bravo!!!
That was a lovely story to read. Thanks so much.
Renee
I absolutely devoured this story - every chapter held me captive and left me longing for the next. The journey was a wild one and the ending was just perfect.
What an imagination you ladies have. I can't even pretend to know how it happens. All I can offer in return is my praise and gratitude for sharing your spectacular talent.
I guessed Merlin...but God works! LMAO!
Anyone seen Dogma? The description of God reminds me of the body He inhabits to play skeeball in that movie. LOL
Great story girls, brilliantly written!
Amazing story. Well done girls xxx
Awesome story, soncreative and unique! Loved every minute of it :)
Post a Comment